March 25, 2013

The Collectors - Where Are They Now? #4

The 4th in this series of blog posts is Confundido from the Spanish 101 series I created in 2006 for a group show I was in at Gallery Neptune in Bethesda, MD.

To read more about the origins of this series, please go here.



Collector Jean Beebe
 
Gregory is a genius at capturing the true human condition with all our foibles. He exposes what we try to disguise through manners but shows through on our faces anyway. I LOVE "Confondido" on so many levels, not the least of which it cracks me up whenever I look at it It hangs in the bathroom with other small works for company, so we can see it often ( ! ) through out the day. Greg's work achieves the ultimate goal of every artist: It continues to interest, draw one in, and stimulate mental exercise. I often wonder about the full extent our little guy "confoundedness". Thanks for making these amazing paintings. Like the owner of "Aboriddo" I would have owned them all, but people beat me to them. Every time Gregory produces an original Ferrand, we know we are going to be in for a "fantastico" time.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This series came about during an explosion of creativity; I painted 12, 11"x16" paintings in 30 days (a record for me).


The paintings were inspired by the holiday theme of the show and a short stint I had as a substitute teacher for an elementary school Spanish class.

Rough sketch and final drawing

Spanish 101: Confundido
11"x 16", acrylic on canvas

The Collectors - Where Are They Now?

No comments: