October 10, 2012

The Collectors - Where Are They Now? #1

Reoccurring thoughts....
 
Over the past ten years I have often wondered "where are my paintings now?" I know who has bought them, but once a collector has purchased them I rarely get the opportunity to see them again, in person, living in the world outside my studio.
 
A little over a month ago I had the same thought again, but this time it nagged at me. Where do the paintings go? How do my collectors live with them?
 
I decided to do something about it and sent an email to my collectors asking if they would be interested in participating in an Artist/Collector collaboration, where we would produce a series of blog posts documenting how the paintings "live" and highlight this incredible group of people that believe in art, who see something special in the work I do, and who purchase my work, enabling me to keep at it and keep growing artistically.
 
Thankfully, many responded in the affirmative, sent me photos of the paintings, and wrote a short statement as to what drew them to their particular painting or to my work in general. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first in the series of blog posts is Aburrido from the Spanish 101 series I created in 2006 for a group show I was in at Gallery Neptune in Bethesda, MD.

Collectors Andrea Paipa and Ben Feldman


Collectors Statement
This is "Aburrido" from a series (Spanish 101) about children receiving gifts...we felt sorry not to have all of them; each one has a different personality, unique and strong. 

Greg's work is fascinating to us since each of his paintings tells a story and is like a movie itself. We look forward to seeing every one of his new productions since he always makes us travel to new scenarios, dramatic and witty.
Andrea Paipa and Ben Feldman 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 
This series came about during an explosion of creativity; I painted 12, 11"x16" paintings in 30 days (a record for me).

The paintings were inspired by the holiday theme of the show and a short stint I had as a substitute teacher for an elementary school Spanish class.






rough sketch and final drawing 

Spanish 101: Aburrido
11"x 16", acrylic on canvas
 
Prints of Aburrido are available here


No comments: