October 18, 2012

The Collectors - Where Are They Now? #2

The second in this series of blog posts are the paintings: The State of Things and Conquering Psyche, and the drawing studies: Backward Isn't Forward and I Fall In Love Too Easily.  

 To read more about the origins of this series, please go here. 
Collector Christine Cordner


Collector's Statement

I first saw Gregory's work at Artomatic in 2008 and was lucky enough to catch him at a sidewalk sale downtown so I could buy a few of his sketches, followed by two paintings, one shipped cross country I was so enamored. I am a lover of line precision and attention to detail, the architectural attributes of his work that first attracted me. I also enjoy the humor behind his quirky humanoids and his ample use of vibrant color in every-day scenarios. The overall pensive, mellow tone of his beautiful work has a meditative effect on me after a busy work day, which is why my collection hangs together right above my desk at home.
 
Christine Cordner 
 
You can read more of what Christine has had to say about my work on her blog here and here.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The State of Things was created in 2009 for my solo show, La Vida Intensa, held later that spring at Hillyer Art Space. Like most of my paintings, this one was not inspired by or created with a specific story in mind, but rather was intended to capture a feeling... the feeling of living in that space in time when we just are... the place in between.

On a side note, the run up to the opening of the show was incredibly hectic as my wife and I were also preparing for the arrival of our first son (due the day after the show's opening). It was a time filled with uncertainty, anxiety, and excitement. 

rough sketch

The State of Things
acrylic on canvas, 16"x20"
 
 Conquering Psyche was completed in 2011 and inspired by the commercial blitz of Valentine's Day and a rereading of the Greek myth The Tale of Eros and Psyche.

If you look closely at the movie poster credits, you'll find that many of my family members worked on the fictitious film and I directed it (a nod back to my college film-making days).
rough sketch

Conquering Psyche
acrylic on canvas, 24"x24"
 
 These drawing studies are exactly that; pencil studies of future paintings.
 Backward Isn't Forward
graphite on paper
 I Fall In Love Too Easily
graphite on paper
Prints of The State of Things can be found here.
For prints of Conquering Psyche can be requested here.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Collectors - Where Are They Now?  

No comments: